I stood behind him in the check out line. He was sweaty from the anomalous March heat and perhaps from effort of balancing one too many items in his arms as he waited for some free space on the conveyour belt.

He was cute, with dark wavy hair and the kind of slightly fat stomach that I find pleasing to look at.

But it wasn’t until his turn came at the register that he really caught my attention. The wait had been long and the general mood amongst the patrons was one of impatience.

“Hihowareyou?” the cashier muttered, daunted and downtrodden by the prospect of endless scanning.

“I’m good,” said my check-out predecessor, smiling warmly “How are YOU?” He asked clearly, emphasis on the “you” and it was clear he really wanted to know. Our cashier looked up, slightly startled by the sincerity of a stranger’s inquiry.

“Well…” she said, taking a second to ponder, “it’s very busy.”

“Yeah. Well, I hope you get a chance to go outside later. It’s beautiful.”

The conversation continued briefly as our clerk completed the transaction. She bagged the produce and made change.

“Thanks so much,” said the sweaty stranger, “have a great day.” He left the line and strolled out of the store. I was left feeling quite smitten as the cashier scanned my yoghurt.

I adore my Man of Mans but I do have those occasional fits of stranger-lust and nothing gets my feelings tingling like a kind man on a hot day!

Comments

1. Jenn says:

I am such a sucker for kindness.

2. Dawn says:

Kindness is a fine quality and it takes little energy to give, leaving one feeling good too.

Absolutely! Kindness also spreads to those in it’s presence. Seeing how that man’s action affected the cashier made me feel happier as well.

3. Sterling Lynch says:

I can’t help but see this from the prism of online engagement.

The online mantra is “be good, positive, and add value” because people who aren’t involved in a particular exchange can see you and will be affected by your behavior.

Your post is a useful reminder that this also happens offline. When you are kind to the person in front of you, other people will notice.

Perhaps, “be good, positive and add value whenever possible” should be the everywhere mantra.

Perhaps it should. I’m hard pressed to think of a situation where acts of kindness and generosity of spirit would not be appropriate.

4. Brie says:

I bet I would have had the EXACT same reaction. Sounds kinda dreamy!