“Cute dress. But aren’t you freezing?”

Some readers have expressed concern about my seemingly impractical choice to wear shorter skirts and high heels in winter weather. Rest assured, peeps. I got it covered…literally. Check how I dress my dresses and defy winter’s bluster in my first Fashion Friday video entry (with bonus cat)!

Comments

1. Amy says:

Fashion aside, I love that picture behind you

2. Fiona says:

Yup, that’s how to layer for a Canadian winter. I usually have to add ski pants if it’s below -15 or so. Also, nobody will ever see my cute shirt or dress because I’ll be keeping that sweater and/or scarf on all day. It gets cold sitting at a desk all day. :(

Because I often work from home, I can set my thermostat to a temperature I find comfortable. And Planned Parenthood’s office is usually quite toasty, so I’m okay sans sweater.

If I’m going to be in a colder environment for a long time, but I still want to rock the dress, I’ll sometimes substitute a blazer for my sweater. That way I can keep the extra layer on and it still looks like a an “outfit”. :-) I’ve also done a spring weight coat as an indoor layer, a la this:

3. Fiona says:

Nice solution. My office is a normal temperature, but I’m just perpetually cold when I’m not actually exercising. (I need to wear the sweater to the office in summer too!) The fall jacket as blazer thing is a great idea. I also could use some fingerless gloves that don’t make me look like a hobo.

4. emiline says:

I need to find those boots! They look awesome. (I just sprung a leak in my boots.) Plus, being able to kick someone across the street could be very handy. :)

5. DeeGee says:

You are hilarious! This could be the ultimate Canadian stand up routine. Have I mentioned how much I love you lately?

6. Erin says:

You might also want to check out Pretty Polly’s fleece lined tights! They’re a UK company but my Mom found them at Shoppers. They have a thin layer of fleece in them so they’re cozy but don’t look bulky. I wore them out today in this balmy – 34 Winnipeg weather.

7. Erin says:

Oh, but they only come in black.

Fleece lined tights – brilliant! I’ve never heard of anything like that, but they sound like a great option for winter dress wearing. Thanks, Erin!

8. Dawn says:

Wow!….. I like the idea of the fleece lined tights too! I’m going to start searching. Thank you too Erin.