This week I feel sexy in…

Scarf and sweater: Old Navy. Skirt: The Gap. Tights: Foot Traffic. Boots: Miz Mooz

Coloured tights!

Until recently I thought of coloured tights as a decidedly childish accessory that should remain part of my 1980s past, not my adult present. Then a reader reccomended Fashion For Nerds, a style blog written by the geekalicious Audra Jean.

Audra Jean’s sartorial choices are daring and aspirational. Plus she lives in San Francisco, which instantly earns her mega bonus cool points.  I was inspired by Audra Jean’s use of leg colour to inject interest, whimsy and yes…a boatload of sex appeal into her outfits. Soon thereafter, I placed an order with my favourite online hosiery.

Coat: Suzy Shier (gift from Dad!). Gloves: Ralph Lauren. Tights: Foot Traffic. Shoes: Pierre Michell (From a garage sale.)

My feelings towards certain parts of my body run hot and cold. But I like my legs. Coloured tights draw attention to my stems and do a decent job of keeping me warm on pantsless winter days.

Dress: Forever 21. Bracelet: Unknown. Tights: Foot Traffic. Boots: John Fluevog.

The odds of my becoming a cover girl are slim. Sun in January is always nice, but all that light bouncing off the snow makes me squint like crazy.

Yeah. Squinting. That’s why I’ll never be a supermodel. :-)

Comments

1. Squinting is the only reason I can think of. Gotta get me some colourful tights, though maybe not to pair with my red and purple boots. I’d really start looking like I fell out of a comic book then!

If you added a co-ordinating cape and leotard, I think you’d make a pretty badass comic book heroine!

2. Bryn says:

I love coloured tights and wish desperately I had the legs to pull them off. I am filled with envy.

3. Lisa says:

I’m loving fashion Fridays!! You are so sassy!! Squinting or not you look great! Again I wish I too had legs to pull off colored tights

Thanks, Lisa!

If you have a moment, check out this article at Already Pretty:

Because it talks about what we “can” and “can’t” wear; because it really changed the way I thought about my own choices; and because I just adore that blog and feel compelled to reference it at every possible opportunity. :-)

4. Amazing!! You look great!! I have just fallen in love with bamboo tights, my mom brought them back from a shop in BC and I will be buying a few more pairs me thinks!!!!

One of my former Venus Envy co-workers was mad for bamboo tights. She let me feel her legs once and they were awfully soft. I can understand the appeal.

5. @jenjarvis says:

As a long time supporter of coloured tights, I’m happy to see that you have discovered them!! Love your combinations!

6. nadinethornhill says:

Thanks, Jen!

Maybe someday I’ll figure out how to incorporate funky knee socks into my wardrobe.

7. Jani says:

Love all of your colorful rights! Thanks for supporting the Foot Traffic brand, we love to see fashionistas wearing our products :)

-Jani

Your tights are fantastic and after browsing Fun Fashion Fit, I may have to add some of your socks to my collection as well. Thanks for dropping by, Jani and come back soon! :-)

8. Jes Lacasse says:

A) African-American tights. 😉
    B) Have you checked out welovecolors.com? Their tights come in the most amazing colours. That’s basically all they do.